09 March 2008

Review: Embers by Sandor Marai

I'm often influenced to pick up a book based on the cover and the novel Embers was no exception. With a picture of a misty wrought iron gate and fence opening up into a leafy overgrown pathway (shown left), I was drawn to this book straight away.

Upon reading that this story is set in a forgotten castle I was sucked in immediately by the setting as well as the cover. Originally published in Hungary, it has now been translated into English. I won't spoil the story except to say it's about friendship and betrayal lasting 40 years. This isn't my usual preferred subject matter as I usually steer away from 'family drama' but this was a great read.

Embers is a quick and easy read, and I enjoyed it immensely.

My rating = ****

Carpe Librum!

Would you like to comment?

Thanks for your comment, Carpe Librum!