29 January 2009

Review: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer book coverIt serves me right for jumping on the Twilight bandwagon, but with the astronomical book sales, new release movie and vampire theme, I couldn't resist. I knew going into this that it was 'teen fiction' but I hoped it would work well for adults the same way the Harry Potter series of books do but I was sadly disappointed.

A great majority of the 500+ pages in Twilight is taken up with the teenage thoughts and actions of two people who like each other and want to be together. Not that I couldn't relate at all. I can remember being like that when I was a teenager, but I grew out of it soon enough and was bored to tears with this book. It was so dull and the main character got on my nerves!!

It also annoyed me that the basic vampire rules weren't followed in this book, and the main character left a lot of unanswered questions about his vampire history and that of his family. This was the only portion of the plot I was interested in and I was left unsatisfied.

I can understand why this book is so popular with the teens of today and I can certainly recognise the well publicised issues of sexual tension and celibacy here.

If you're over 20 and have read any Anne Rice books, you won't enjoy this one.

My rating = *

Carpe Librum!

Would you like to comment?

Thanks for your comment, Carpe Librum!