09 March 2009

Review: Your Heart Belongs To Me by Dean Koontz

Your Heart Belongs To Me by Dean Koontz book coverDean Koontz is one of my favourite authors, however Your Heart Belongs To Me was a little different to his usual style. The first half of the book seemed to just cruise along without too much drama however it was overflowing with too many descriptives. This style of writing from Koontz made me wonder if he was experimenting with a new style, and I'm sad to say I prefer his regular (and brilliant) writing style. The descriptives, metaphors and similes in this novel were weak and didn't add much to the building of the story line or the characters. It also seemed to be a little out of character for the author.

It wasn't until I passed half way through the novel that I experienced my first round of goose bumps and the novel suddenly became a rollicking good read for me. The improved pace continued to a reasonably satisfactory conclusion, however I believe this novel could have benefitted from a further edit. Your Heart Belongs To Me had me on the edge of my seat for many chapters and I was swept up in the mystery, however I think it had much more potential for greatness that unfortunately wasn't fully realised.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this book.

My rating = ***

Carpe Librum!

Would you like to comment?

Thanks for your comment, Carpe Librum!