15 May 2009

Review: Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote book coverThis is certainly a well known classic, and I was really looking forward to reading it, but what a let down!!! This is a very short book and really only provides a glimpse into the lives of the two main characters over a twelve month period. Perhaps if I could have spent more time with these characters to enable the development of a deeper connection or understanding I may have enjoyed it a little more.

Made famous by Audrey Hepburn's portrayal of Holly Golightly in the film (which I haven't seen by the way) the book certainly isn't worthy of classic status in my opinion. The characterisations were too shallow, and the observations and plot didn't really seem to have a point or to take me anywhere of interest. The story could have continued beyond its end point to Africa but for some reason Capote chose to end it abruptly.

I don't have much else to add here, the literary world sure make a lot of fuss about nothing here!

My rating = *

Carpe Librum!

Would you like to comment?

Thanks for your comment, Carpe Librum!