26 September 2009

Review: A Density of Souls by Christopher Rice

A Density of Souls by Christopher Rice book coverThis book came to my attention because it was written by the son of one of my favourite authors, Anne Rice. Based in New Orleans, A Density of Souls is about four young friends whose relationships change dramatically when they enter High School. I found the depth of the relationships absolutely fascinating and the insights by each of the characters to be beyond their years, but altogether convincing.

I enjoyed re-reading certain sections throughout the book in order to savour the language and the writing. There were also particular sections I needed to pause and reflect on, as they were deeply moving and poignant.

I couldn't help but compare Christopher's writing to that of Anne Rice, and I was surprised to draw the conclusion that this book is better than some of her novels. I wonder if they share a happy rivalry.

This book isn't for everyone. Some of the themes are quite heavy going and include violence and sexual themes. The review on the book cover claims this book is a "shocking, sexy tale. An intricate novel about four childhood pals whose friendships deteriorate into a nightmare of violence and chaos" and I can't help but agree.

I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel by Christopher Rice, although I don't think I would have the courage to recommend it to anyone.

My rating = ****1/2

Carpe Librum!

Would you like to comment?

Thanks for your comment, Carpe Librum!