26 September 2009

Review: Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden

Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden book coverWritten by Australian author John Marsden, Tomorrow, When The War Began was published in 1993 and was the first in what was to become the Tomorrow series. The series became very popular, however at the time I was trying to plow through books like Moby Dick at University and I guess it passed me by. I'd always promised myself I'd go back and read it and I finally have.

The book is based on events in a small country town and involves a group of teenagers and their response to an invasion from a foreign land. I admired the ingenuity of the characters and the manner in which they react to the situation and the danger. They're forced to grow up very quickly and I admired their quick thinking and bravery.

This was an enjoyable read, and quite an imaginable scenario. I also chuckled along at the small town references throughout the book, and I can imagine this novel would have been very popular amongst readers growing up in rural areas in Australia.

I don't think I'll read the rest of the series, although I do want to find out how it ends, however it's the age old 'too many books, too little time' scenario, and sometimes you have to make a decision not to continue so you can move onto other books.

At least I now know what the fuss was all about, and after reading it, I now admire the creativity and imagination of John Marsden even more. What a terrific Australian author!

My rating = ***

Carpe Librum!

Would you like to comment?

Thanks for your comment, Carpe Librum!