29 May 2010

Review: Others by James Herbert

Others by James Herbert book coverThis is my second novel by James Herbert, and I'm proud to say this one gave me a nightmare. Why am I proud to say this? I read a lot of Koontz and King and love a good thriller and naturally enjoy a bit of a fright! It's hard for a writer to make the reader 'jump' or 'get the creeps' and for me it's the mark of a great author and an excellent book! It certainly gets the adrenalin pumping and the mind racing into the wee hours.

It follows that there is a skill in making a reader cry but first and foremost, I don't really enjoy deeply depressing stories, or stories that are going to upset me for days and days afterwards. Secondly, it's rare for me to cry during a movie, so for a book, this state is almost unattainable. Besides, I'd rather be scared out of my wits, or contemplating the dark side of human nature in a way that is removed from my daily life and therefore 'safe'.

Okay, now onto the book. Dismas is a private investigator in the Others and is born into the world disfigured. The character development and insight here is phenomenal and a little painful at times which deepens the story even further. Dismas is asked to investigate a missing baby supposedly declared dead following the birth, and thus begins a course of events involving babies born with hideous deformities. Without ruining the story-line, I was really creeped out one night reading about the hospital at 'Perfect Rest' although it sounds completely harmless, doesn't it?

The theme of redemption is echoed throughout the novel, and I thoroughly enjoyed following the character's journey and learning about the fate of the Others.

I recommend Others to anyone who enjoys a good fright, or is a fan of either Stephen King or Dean Koontz.

My rating = ****

Carpe Librum!

Would you like to comment?

Thanks for your comment, Carpe Librum!